Sunday 4 April 2010

WELCOME GALLERY

We visited the Welcome Gallery during our trip to London. They had an exhibition on at the time called 'Medicine now' which i found pretty fascinating. Although not illustration, many of the pieces were really interesting. My favourite one (shown below) was a map of the world made entirely out of dead mosquitos. From more than a metre away it looks like the map has just been stitched or made out of string and it is only when you get up close that you actually see how it's made.













 Other sections of the gallery showed collections of medical tools, utensils etc, many of which were antique, unique and unlike anything else I have ever seen. Things like this are always good to look at for inspiration and I have always had a weird kind of interest in medicine and the history behind it so this exhibition was exciting to me. 

I also spent some time in the Science museum down in London, the history of medicine exhibition being my favourite out of all the exhibits. 

No comments: