Monday 1 March 2010

A REQUIEM FOR DETROIT

This was a documentary on BBC about Detroit, it's history and the fall of the car industry that brought in almost 100% of the cities revenue. Detroit used to be the centre of the car industry, it is where Henry Ford designed and built his famed model T and in the past was a rich vibrant industrial city. Nowadays because of the recession and then decline of profits in the car industry, Detroit has become almost a ghost town with vast streets of abandoned buildings, factories, and barely any people. I watched this documentary to inspire me for my final project in which I am focussing on the fall of the music empire. The documentary helped me come up with ideas and imagery and I rarely see something that fits so well with what I am trying to do in my work so finding this documentary was pretty cool. At the start of my final project I didn't have much diirection as I hadn't seen something that had properly inspired me but now it is focussed on the music empire, using the huge grand yet redundant buildings in Detroit as a start point.
This documenary is well worth watching purely for the imagery it shows. Detroit is huge and the way all the buildings have just been abandonned and left to the elements and nature is something you don't see every day. Nature has begun to reclaim lots of the buildings, and others have just fallen by themselves. Although it would be a really difficult place to live, it would be an awesome place to drive through.

The film and details about it can be found below:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1572190/

No comments: