Monday 22 March 2010

LONDON: KEMISTRY GALLERY





























































Back from Landan town now, it was the first time I'd been and it was a lot better than I had expected to be honest and there was so much inspiration everywhere that it has made me want to move down there after I graduate. Anyway, we went to Kemistry gallery to see a Polish poster exhibition while we were down there which turned out to be one of my favourite places out of the ones that we visited. Polish illustration has a look that is instantly recognisable and distinctively un-English although I can't seem to work out why. Some of the pieces we saw were similar in style to that of psychadellic posters from the 60's and 70's ( by artists such as Milton Glaser, Bonnie Mclean and Wes Wilson), but still had something about them that made them stand out and still be original.



The thing that impressed me most about these polish designers is not the fact that they are fantastic drawers or amazing artists, but the way they can always take two images, such as the gun/trumpet above, and merge the two ideas seamlessly into one image. The simplicity of a lot of these posters was interesting as well and has made me realise that sometimes i unnecessarily overcomplicate my work. Finally, this is hard to explain as I cannot upload the photos of the images I am specifically talking about, but a lot of the colour palettes used by polish designers are strange as they very often use extremely bright colours whilst somehow managing to make them look subtle and keeping the posters from looking garish.


No comments: