Monday 4 May 2009

CONTACTS- MOIRA HAY

> To: 
> Subject: Regarding your work
>
>
> Hi my name is James Richardson and I'm currently studying for my illustration
> degree. Not meaning to take up much of your time i was wondering if there is
> any chance I could ask you a few questions about your work, both to help with
> my degree and because I find your work beautiful and intriguing.
> Please get back to me if you have five minutes spare.
> Thank you very much,
> James Richardson


Hello James,
Thanks for your kind words - 'beautiful' and 'intriguing' did indeed press
the right buttons! Though it's a marvel to me that output from someone of my
age does seem to have appeal for the student age-group. Very heartening.
Generally I'm happy to assist art&design students, though I'd like a bit
more info about you first. In particular, where are you studying? This year
I've already acted as mentor/sounding-board for a couple of students in my
general locality and I'm aware that you could all finish up repeating the
same 'lines', which might make your course tutors lift a quizzical eyebrow.
Because of that, I'd prefer not to conduct a Q&A session via email. Would
you be prepared to do this over the phone, (or even a visit if that's
logistically possible for you), and then present any useful info from me, in
your own words?
Let me know if you're comfortable with that and contact me again to make any
arrangements.
All best,
Moira


> To: 
> Subject: RE: Regarding your work
>
>
> Hi Moira,I was just wondering if you have the spare time for a chat over the
> phone. I would love to have a talk about your work and interests and studio
> etc if you are not too busy, and possibly talk about visiting over summer to
> see where and how you work.I am snowed under with work at the moment and I am
> hoping that talking to a professional like yourself will give me some
> inspiration.
> Thanks again,
> James


Hi James,
Yes, of course - my apologies for overlooking you! In your last email you
let me know you were based at Manchester; when I suggested an
'interview-style' visit I was thinking in more 'local' terms. I've had
recent contact from a couple of students at Cardiff, and one at Carmarthen
which made it somewhat easier to conduct their questioning face-to-face. I
live/work in a very rural area with only intermittent bus service accessible
1mile away, so it would be much more appropriate to try and assist you over
the phone. Whether I can be 'inspirational' is another matter - keep an open
mind!

No doubt you have my phone no from the website? (01570 470075). No point
giving you a mobile no as we have no signal here. Particular days or times
of day probably won't matter too much though I tend to walk the dogs
mid-morning and am likely to be preparing/eating the evening meal between
7-9pm.

Below however, is when I'm definitely NOT available:
Most Tuesday evenings from 6pm
Monday 4th May - morning&afternoon
Thursday 7th May - afternoon&evening
Weds 13th May - all day
Friday 15th May - all day

Look forward to speaking with you,
Moira

No comments: