Monday 4 May 2009

SAUL BASS











Saul Bass is a world recognised graphic designer, famous for his cut-outs and simplified imagery and animations. His work is always simple, using block colours and cut out shapes to form his compositions. My favourite animation of his is one I came across on the internet and the link is below. I love the way he keeps everything so simple yet still manages to make things exciting and interesting. His silhouettes are simplified to the point that there is nothing other than the basic shape of what he is trying to portray. This kind of imagery comes across well in posters because what he is representing is bold and instantly recognisable. I looked to Saul Bass for inspiration when I started my Computer Apps animation project. I was required to animate a 2D flat character and knowing that Saul Bass always works with flat shapes I thought watching some of his work would help me with mine. I kept my animation quite simple and avoided overcomplicating things in an attempt to produce a more striking and composed piece of animation. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQH4-f7WiW0&videos=Z7sI1tGhjEg&playnext_from=TL&playnext=1

A lot of his work is available to see on this site-
http://saulbass.tv/

No comments: