Sunday 3 May 2009

SELF PORTRAIT PROJECT








































































































For my concept studies elective I chose to do a self portrait project. I wanted to find a way of showing myself as truthfully as possible and rather than painting or photographing myself, I decided to keep a journal with me for about a month and a half. This journal built up quickly as I used it to record my thoughts, feelings, things I saw, things I found, conversations I heard and things from places I had been. It is interesting what you see and hear from day to day. I recorded everything. All the little things that I would normally forget about a minute after they happened were written or stuck down in my book and all the tiny things I would usually overlook became art. This journal became very personal to me and there were some things that I would have to write in code to keep them secret, although most things I did write out in full. When I had filled my journal I identified pictures and words that I liked and used them to produce 4 large canvasses which turned out to look quite striking. The thing I enjoyed most about this project was the journey I took. I even learnt some things about myself that I didn't realise were true. 
My final pieces make more sense when viewed with my journal but I like the idea of making people think and letting them make their own mind up about my work and what it means. I feel this project is much more honest than a self portrait painting or even a photograph because it shows much more about me. 

I would post pictures of my final pieces but it seems like somebody has thrown them away :/

No comments: